25 Mar TOP 10 LANDSCAPING MISTAKES
10. Over planting landscapes. Plant material needs to be set at correct distances to allow it to grow, thrive and last. Too much material crammed into a given space will not stand the test of time.
9. Limiting the use of hardscape material. In areas where plants cannot be grown or thrive, properly planned hardscaping can solve a lot of landscape problems.
8. Excessive planting on large landscapes. How much you plant determines how much you spend to maintain.
7. Improperly mulching plant material. Too much mulch will cause decay, limit water penetration and become a haven for unwanted insects.
6. Limited diversity of plants. Escape the dull landscape! There are so many species and variants available to create a unique and vibrant look.
5. Poor planning for height and width of trees and shrubs. Pick the right landscape material so you don’t cover windows, walks, doors and drives.
4. Landscapes without a plan. There’s more to landscaping than buying what’s in bloom and finding a place for it. Poor designs will lead to maintenance issues, damage and ultimately cost more in the long run.
3. Not realizing when to start over: Landscape material lasts a long time, but not forever. At some point it may be best to start over rather than pruning plants and shrubs to the ground.
2. Destroying the beauty of shrubs and trees by improperly pruning them.
1. Failing to match your soil with plant material. Soil which drains poorly will lead to root disease and drowning of plant material.